Mac Remote Desktop Configuration
What You Will Need
You will need 3 passwords for this: Your Apple ID password, your UCI HS password and the Administrator password for your Apple Computer.
How to Download
Mac RDP Configuration
- You will need an Apple ID/iTunes account
- Go Here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092 or Search "Microsoft Remote Desktop" in the Mac App Store to download the program.
- Locate and 'Double-Click' the downloaded program located in your applications folder.
If your Apple workstation is managed by UCIHealth you can download the program from the Self-Service portal.
Adding the Gateway
From the 'Microsoft Remote Desktop' drop-down menu, select 'Preferences…'. Click on the 'Gateway' tab and on the bottom left click the plus (+) sign to create a new gateway. Then input the settings as seen below, ensure you leave the User account setting as is. When finished, click the red 'X' located on the top left to close the window and exit.
Configuring the Server
When opened for the first time, you will need to click the plus button (+). Under PC Name, enter the static IP Address followed by any additional settings. Leave the user account setting as is and set the Gateway to 'tsgate'. When finshed, click on 'Add'.
Initiating the Remote Desktop Session
At the main screen of the Microsoft Remote Desktop app, you may now click on the 'start' button to initiate the connection following the steps below.
- The first time you connect to your remote computer, it will show you show certificate, click on the 'Always Trust...' check box, then click continue.
- You will then be asked to authenticate with your Apple Computer Administrator password. This password *may* be blank and you can simply click the 'update settings' button. If leaving the password blank doesn't work, it may be your iTunes password or another that was entered when the computer was setup for the first time.
Once you click the 'update settings' button, you will then need to authenticate with DUO if you are outside the UCIHealth network. Once authenticated a connection to your remote computer will be established.